Discover Spain’s finest wine-making region with a private tour around Rioja’s most famous estates and the chance to explore the city of Logrono.
Highlights of this Wine Tour3 days from £649pp
- Self-drive from the airport through the rolling Cantabrian mountains with 3 day car hire
- Rest your head in a hotel in the heart of ‘La Rioja’ never far from a local tapas or bar
- A chauffeured private tour and tastings at three wineries around Rioja Alta and Rioja Alavesa including a vineyard dating back to the 14th century
- Tapas (and more tapas) with accompanying wines
A Sample Itinerary
- Self drive from Bilbao airport to the capital of ‘La Rioja’ and stay in central hotel. Choose between staying in Logrono or Haro, and once settled at the hotel your wine experience begins with a visit to a prestigious winery.
- Your Rioja wine tasting tour continues with a full day wine tasting experience around Rioja with your English speaking guide who will chauffeur you for the day. During the day you will visit three wineries and also have a typical Riojan tapas lunch.
- Depending on your base city, before returning home we suggest you to relax and explore the city. Visit the Old Town of Logrono, where you will find yourself walking along streets that form part of the Way of St James, it really is an amazing place to explore on foot. On your journey to the airport we always recommend a stop to visit the Guggenheim Museum.
Need to know: This is a tailor-made itinerary based on 3* hotel that we can happily adapt to suit your requirements. Please note that the wine tour and tutorial is semi-private which means that there may be up to seven other wine enthusiasts with you – still allowing for an informative and intimate experience with the winemakers. Private tours can be arranged for special occasions. All our suggested packages are completely flexible and designed to give you some ideas and inspiration of what we can offer. SmoothRed is ABTA and ATOL bonded which guarantees financial protection on all your travel bookings.
Nearby Wine Regions: Did you know that just two hours south of Rioja is the wine region of Ribera del Duero? – A superb cousin to the reds you’ve been sampling and boasting some of the most stunning food and scenery in Spain. Or perhaps hearty Bordeaux’s are a better match? Just five house north of Rioja is Bordeaux – the heartland of French wine and another world-renowned wine region to tick off your list. Why not take a few extra days to do them all? – We’ll sort the details!
Getting Here: Bilbao Airport is the closest main airport to the Rioja region. Flights arrive into Bilbao from Heathrow (with British Airways), Gatwick (with Vueling) and Stansted, Manchester and Bristol (with EasyJet), as well as from a number of other European airports. La Rioja is just southwards of Bilbao, and Logroño and Haro are no more than a few hours away by train or by car.
Trains run daily from Bilbao-Abando station to Logroño directly, which is a stop 2½ hours away on the journey from Bilbao to Barcelona. Trains also occasionally run from Bilbao-Abando to Haro, and take about 2 hours directly. The journey between Logroño and Haro (which can also be made directly) takes between half an hour and an hour.
From Bilbao by road, Logroño is 1½ hours away, and Haro is an hour. From Logroño to Haro or vice versa will take no more than half an hour along the Autopista AP-68. The more scenic route via the N-232, which will take you through Briones, Torremontalbo and Fuenmayor, should add on no more than an extra ten minutes to that time.
3* Hotel Marqués de Vallejo la Rioja – centrally located and just a short walk from the Cathedral of Santa María de la Redonda and the Theatre Bretón de los Herreros
We had a fantastic trip to Rioja with Smooth Red. The tour guide, wineries and hotels were all magnificent. A truly memorable trip and a great wine and food experience.
Our wine tasting in the Loire Valley was amazing!
We stayed in 'Chateau Bouvet Ladubay' the building was very grand but in a relaxed way! The hosts were lovely, they were there when necessary but quietly disappeared when they were not needed! The day's wine tasting included information on wine growing, a bike ride in the vast cellars (anyone who can stay upright on a bike could manage the ride whether 18 or 80!), a lovely picnic lunch and plenty of wine to try!!!
Smoothred is a company that I highly recommend - from start to finish they have been helpful and very well organised. They ensured that our break in the Loire Valley was personal and memorable!
For more information, speak to our travel team today
Or enquire online…
Send us a Message
Sign Up to Our Newsletter
Pay Us a Visit
SmoothRed, One Garratt Lane, Wandsworth, London, SW18 4AQ, UK