Medieval Colmar is a town of fairy tales. Strikingly beautiful half timbered houses and woven alleys, bright walls and dark cobblestone lanes – you could loose yourself in history and world-famous wines. This three day wine adventure is perfect for wine lovers, history lovers and sensualists.
Highlights of this Wine Tour3 days from £318pp
- Relax for two nights in your centrally located 4* hotel in Colmar – the capital of Alsatian wine.
- Explore the the world-famous ‘Route Des Vins’ with your dedicated expert wine guide and chauffeur.
- Visit four wineries over the course of the day with tutored wine tastings from the winemakers themselves.
- Taste up to four wines at each venue including Pinot Blanc, Sylvaner, Riesling, Muscat and Pinot Gris grape varieties.
- Stop in the quaint village of Riquewihr for a lunch of Alsatian specialities – one of France’s most beautiful towns.
- Explore the superb Gothic and Renaissance architecture and local history of Colmar.
A Sample Itinerary
- Settle into your 4* hotel, home for the next two nights and ideally located for exploring Colmar on foot. (With eight centuries of German and French architecture to uncover you won’t want to forget your camera!) This afternoon, enjoy your first tutored wine tasting at a ‘Cave’ and sample three wines with three cheeses – the perfect introduction to the tastes and terroirs of this region.
- Today is a full days chauffeured wine tour to four wineries along the Route Des Vins – The Alsace Wine Route. This is a beautiful drive through an area of outstanding natural beauty which winds its way for over one hundred miles along the eastern foothills of the Vosges. Your dedicated driver and expert wine guide will chauffeur you throughout the day and be able to answer any questions you may have. Today you’ll meet four of the humble wine makers which make this wine region so special. You’ll learn about the wine making process and have the chance to sample three or four wines at each venue (and if your maths isn’t so great after a few glasses, that’s up to sixteen wines in total) including Pinot Blanc, Sylvaner, Riesling, Muscat and Pinot Gris grape varieties. You’ll stop for lunch in historic Riquewihr – described as one of the most beautiful towns in France, with some free time to explore at your leisure. Lunch will consist of local delicacies and accompanying wine. And after a long day of chatting, learning, eating and sipping, you can relax with a scenic drive back to your hotel and a local dinner.
- This final day is yours to uncover the deep history of Colmar, its old town has been well preserved (formally a butcher’s, tanner’s and fishmonger’s quarter) and spared the destructions of the French Revolution and world wars which many other French towns suffered. Loose yourself in the many architectural landmarks and its museums in particular we the Unterlinden Museum and the Isenheim Altarpiece
Getting Here: Strasbourg is a pleasant six hour train journey from London on the Eurostar/TGV via Paris. The town of Colmar is also ideally located between Strasbourg and Basel airports. Easyjet offers affordable flights to Strasbourg Airport from London Gatwick and Easyjet, RyanAir and British Airways all fly from all London airports to Basel airport. SmoothRed is ATOL and ABTA bonded and we would be happy to make travel arrangements for you. For those wishing to self drive we would happily suggest an itinerary combining Alsace with perhaps nearby Champagne or Burgundy wine regions.
Need to know: All our suggested packages are completely flexible and designed to give you some ideas and inspiration of what we can offer. Please note that the wine tours are semi-private and may include up to seven other wine enthusiasts but still allowing for an intimate and informed experience with the winemakers. We can arrange for exclusively private tours for a special occasion, just let us know.
Upgrade: This package is based on 4* hotel accommodation. We also have a range of 5* options available which one of our sales experts will be happy to arrange for you.
Nearby Wine Regions: Alsace is well located to explore the bubbles of Champagne and the pinot noirs of Burgundy; both wine regions are a pleasant 3.5 hour drive away. Why not extend your holiday and tick another world-famous wine region off your list? We’ll sort the details.
4* Accomodation at the Hotel Bristol in the heart of Colmar
Amazing six days in Tuscany. We did a Chianti tour followed by a Brunello tour. Everything from the flights, car hire, hotels, guide and restaurant recommendations were great. Our guide took us to some lovely family owned vineyards and was very knowledgeable. We will definitely use Smooth Red again.
I don't usually put reviews but we have just been absolutely blown away by this weekend organised by Smooth Red! The staff were really friendly and managed to cater for all our requirements. A really informative and fun weekend. Even restaurant suggestions were superb and we really had a lovely time. I have already recommended to friends and family and will definitely be using Smooth red again for future wine tasting adventures!
For more information, speak to our travel team today
Or enquire online…
Send us a Message
Sign Up to Our Newsletter
Pay Us a Visit
SmoothRed, One Garratt Lane, Wandsworth, London, SW18 4AQ, UK