Enjoy the best of Bordeaux’s – stay in a Château in its verdant vineyards and a hotel in the heart of its cosmopolitan city centre, visiting both the left and right banks of the Medoc and Saint-Emilion wine regions.
Highlights of this Wine Tour5 days from £994pp
- Self-drive in your own time and at your leisure
- Stay in the luxury of your five star Chateau hotel located in the heart of the Médoc vineyards
- Enjoy a full day chauffered wine tour in the Médoc (left bank) vineyards with an expert wine guide visiting two prestigious classified growth châteaux stopping for lunch at a traditional brasserie.
- Stay at your next location – a centrally located 3* hotel in the heart of Bordeaux city centre.
- Enjoy another full day chauffeured wine tour of the Saint Emilion (right bank) vineyards
- Enjoy tastings at two Grand Cru Classé Châteaux and explore the quaint village of Saint-Émilion itself.
A Sample Itinerary
- Self drive at your leisure from the airport to the Médoc region. Unwind over a complimentary bottle of wine as you arrive at the elegant private Château and start as you mean to go on.
- The second day of your Bordeaux wine tasting trip is devoted to the majestic Médoc. Along with your English-speaking guide you’ll follow the famous Route des Châteaux stopping for tastings at two prestigious classified growth châteaux along the way. The day will also include lunch in a brasserie in the middle of the Médoc vineyards.
- Make your own way from Margaux to Bordeaux city where you will check-in an ideally located 3* hotel in the heart of Bordeaux city and start your afternoon with a pre-dinner tasting with three wines along with local delicacies.
- Your Bordeaux wine tasting trip continues with a day of tours around the delightful village of Saint-Émilion and its surrounding vineyards. Throughout the day your guide will take you for tastings at two Grand Cru Classé Châteaux, as well as a tour to discover the fascinating history of Saint-Émilion itself.
- On your final day in the city, soak up the ambiance of the many brasseries and bars and see for yourself why Bordeaux is a designated UNESCO world heritage site. A stroll along one of Europe’s longest shopping esplanades is also a must, passing over 350 historical monuments along your way.
Need to know: This is a tailor-made itinerary based on two destinations including 5* accommodation in the heart of the Medoc vineyards followed by 3* hotel accommodation in the heart of the city centre. We have a number of alternative 3*, 4* and 5* options available. All our suggested packages are completely flexible and designed to give you some ideas and inspiration of what we can offer. The day tours are semi-private and may include up to seven other wine enthusiasts – still allowing for a very intimate experience with the wine makers. The day tours include a 45 minute drive out into the vineyards.
Getting Here: This itinerary is based on a self-drive package. If you’re coming from the UK, a ferry can take you from Plymouth, Weymouth, Bournemouth or Portsmouth to St. Malo or Portsmouth to Caen – the subsequent drive to Bordeaux will take around 5 hours and 5½ hours
A number of airlines including British Airways, EasyJet and Ryanair offer seasonal flights to Bordeaux from the UKs major airports including London Gatwick, London Luton, Bristol, Glasgow, Liverpool and Edinburgh.
Eurostar and TGV trains run directly to Bordeaux-Saint-Jean, in the centre of the city, from Paris’ Gare du Nord and Lille. Travel from London St. Pancras will require a quick change at Gare du Nord, though a direct (albeit slower) route via Lille is available.
Nearby Wine Regions: Bordeaux is well positioned between a number of other world-renowned wine regions including Rioja in Spain – the heartland of Spanish red wine is a five hour drive South west of Bordeaux. Five hours drive south west is the unspoilt region of Languedoc-Roussillon and the world-famous Châteauneuf-du-Pape and five hours drive north are the well-loved Sancerre and Pouilly-Fumés of the Loire Valley. Why not stay a little longer and tick another wine region off your list?
5* Chateau accomodation in the Médoc vineyards
3* Accommodation in the city centre
We had a fantastic trip to Rioja with Smooth Red. The tour guide, wineries and hotels were all magnificent. A truly memorable trip and a great wine and food experience.
Our wine tasting in the Loire Valley was amazing!
We stayed in 'Chateau Bouvet Ladubay' the building was very grand but in a relaxed way! The hosts were lovely, they were there when necessary but quietly disappeared when they were not needed! The day's wine tasting included information on wine growing, a bike ride in the vast cellars (anyone who can stay upright on a bike could manage the ride whether 18 or 80!), a lovely picnic lunch and plenty of wine to try!!!
Smoothred is a company that I highly recommend - from start to finish they have been helpful and very well organised. They ensured that our break in the Loire Valley was personal and memorable!
For more information, speak to our travel team today
Or enquire online…
Send us a Message
Sign Up to Our Newsletter
Pay Us a Visit
SmoothRed, One Garratt Lane, Wandsworth, London, SW18 4AQ, UK