Stay in the heart of historic Tours and explore the many extraordinary Renaissance chateaux nearby. Spend a day in the vineyards with an expert wine guide and taste the Cabernet Francs, Sancerres and Pouilly-Fumés for which the Loire Valley wine region is so famous.
Highlights of this Wine Tour3 days from £429pp
- Stay at the 3* Hotel Grand in the heart of historic Tours
- Discover the cellars of a boutique winery in Vouvray with private transfers
- Enjoy a tasting of 5 cheeses paired to complement 5 wines of the estate
- Spend the day in the vineyards with your dedicated wine expert and chauffeur
- Visits three prestigious estates and taste a range of Cabernet Franc, Chenin Blanc, Pouilly-Fumés and Sancerres.
- Enjoy a picnic within the grounds of a château amoungst the Cabernet Franc vines
A Sample Itinerary
- Check in to the three star Hotel Grand, renovated in Art Deco style of the 30’s and perfectly located to explore the historic city of Tours and nearby points of interest. This afternoon take a stroll around the town and discover the outstanding architectural heritage and numerous historic monuments from the Roman to the Renaissance era. A short drive away are the Châteaux of d’Azay-le-Rideau and the Château de Chenonceau if you’re feeling adventurous. This afternoon, relax with private transfers to one of the most prestigious wine estates in Vouvray. Visit their majestic troglodytic cellars before enjoying a superb tasting of 5 cheeses perfectly paired to 5 of their best wines – the perfect way to orient yourself in the tastes and terroirs of the Loire Valley wine region.
- Today, your expert wine guide and chauffeur will collect you from your hotel (and later return you) for a full day immersion into the nearby Loire Valley vineyards. Your first visit will be a family run Grand Cru Classé estate where you’ll have a tutored tasting of some of their finest Cabernet Francs. This will be followed by a visit and tasting at the cellars of another award-winning, family run estate. Here you’ll stop for a picnic lunch in the grounds of their château, sat amongst the Cabernet Franc vines. Lunch will consist of seasonal local delicacies, accompanied by your choice of wine. The third visit is to the Rochecorbon caves and the remarkable troglodyte cellars – a cave dug into the Tufa cliffs. Here you’ll enjoy tastings of four wines including Pouilly-Fumés and Sancerres.
- Spend your final day exploring more of Tours; hire bikes or wonder through its medieval streets and squares, half-timbered houses, paved narrow streets before bidding farewell to France’s noblest of wine regions.
Getting Here: The Loire Valley is a pleasant five hour drive from the port of Calais and three hours from the ports of St. Malo and Caen. You can take the Eurostar from London St. Pancras to Paris where you can connect with a TGV to Tours. Tours Val de Loire Airport is located just outside of Tours, and has direct connections to London Stansted Airport with Ryanair.
Need to know: This is a tailor-made itinerary based on a three star hotel that we can happily adapt to suit your requirements. We have a number of 4* and 5* options available. All our suggested packages are completely flexible and designed to give you some ideas and inspiration of what we can offer. Please note that the wine tours are semi private which means that there may be up to seven other wine enthusiasts with you but still allowing for an intimate experience with the winemakers. Private wine tours can be arranged for a special occasion.
Nearby Wine Regions: The Loire Valley is equidistant from France’s other famous wine regions; four hours drive south you can be drinking the Cabernet Sauvignons in Bordeaux, four hours east the Pinot Noirs of Burgundy and four hours north, the bubbles of Champagne. Why not extend your trip and tick another world-famous wine region off your list? – We’ll sort the details.
3* Grand Hotel Tours, Loire Valley
Amazing six days in Tuscany. We did a Chianti tour followed by a Brunello tour. Everything from the flights, car hire, hotels, guide and restaurant recommendations were great. Our guide took us to some lovely family owned vineyards and was very knowledgeable. We will definitely use Smooth Red again.
I don't usually put reviews but we have just been absolutely blown away by this weekend organised by Smooth Red! The staff were really friendly and managed to cater for all our requirements. A really informative and fun weekend. Even restaurant suggestions were superb and we really had a lovely time. I have already recommended to friends and family and will definitely be using Smooth red again for future wine tasting adventures!
For more information, speak to our travel team today
Or enquire online…
Send us a Message
Sign Up to Our Newsletter
Pay Us a Visit
SmoothRed, One Garratt Lane, Wandsworth, London, SW18 4AQ, UK