This six day wine package combining Bordeaux and San Sebastian is the ultimate gourmet getaway. From 5* luxury hotels to Michelin star dining (8 Michelin star’s over 5 days) and private wine experiences, this package has all the elements for a perfect holiday for a wine and food lover! Not to forget, when you aren’t fine dining and tasting the most exquisite wines in the famous region of Bordeaux, there is time to relax at the Caudalie Vinothérapie Spa!
Highlights of this Wine Tour6 days from £3696pp
- Return flights from London with hold luggage included.
- Unwind for three nights in Junior Suite at the luxury vinotherapy spa hotel surrounded by the lush vineyards of Château Smith Haut Lafitte.
- Over the course of the trip, you will dine at some of the best Michelin star restaurants in the areas; eight Michelin stars in six days!
- Relax with private transfers throughout trip.
- Visit and tasting at a Grand Cru Classé winery in Pessac-Léognan.
- Two full day private tours exploring the world-famous wine regions of Bordeaux.
- Enjoy a number of tours and tastings at four world famous Grand Cru classified Châteaux in the Pomerol, St Emilion and the Medoc.
- Stay two nights a cork’s throw from the beach in stunning San Sebastián and indulge in an seven-course, three-starred Michelin Star dinner at Arzak one of the top restaurants in the world
A Sample Itinerary
- Fly London to Bordeaux (hold luggage included), on arrival relax with private transfers from Bordeaux airport. Check into a Junior Suite at Les Sources de Caudalie a tranquil, five star spa hotel surrounded by the lush vineyards of Château Smith Haut Lafitte. Choose from a terrace or balcony with a view of the vineyard or lake – your view for the next three nights. This afternoon enjoy a tasting and tutorial at a nearby world-famous château – the perfect introduction to the Merlots and Merlot blends so typical of this world-famous wine region. Before dinner relax with some treatments at the vinotherapy spa, take a dip in the pool or explore the lush hotel gardens with an aperitif (treatments and aperitif not included). On your first evening, enjoy a five course tasting menu with accompanying wines at a two-starred Michelin restaurant.
- The following day, your private wine guide will collect you after breakfast and you’ll be chauffeur-driven to a Premier Grand Cru Classé Château in Saint-Émilion to explore its cellars and winery before a morning wine tasting. Lunch will be a tasting menu paired with the finest wines in a one star Michelin restaurant set in the Premier Grand Cru Classé Château. The final tasting of the day is at a Grand Cru Classified Château in Pomerol. At each venue you’ll taste the wines and meet the wine makers behind this world-renowned wine region.
- Your private wine guide will collect you after breakfast and you’ll be chauffeur-driven to a Grand Cru Classé wine estate in the Medoc. After an exclusive visit of the cellars, your tasting will be paired with chocolates. Enjoy a three course lunch with wines in a two-starred Michelin restaurant. After a relaxed lunch, your final visit will be at a Cru Bourgeois winery in Haut-Medoc. After a tour of the cellars, enjoy a vertical tasting of 5 vintages at the Chateau.
- Today is yours to enjoy the numerous spa treatments on offer in your hotel, or take the time to explore the nearby Bordeaux city centre before heading to your next destination, relax with private transfers to San Sebastian– a place impossible not to fall madly in love with. Your five star belle-epoque styles hotel is (utterly gorgeous and) superbly located in the historic city just moments from the main attractions and just metres from the sea (you could throw a cork to the closest beach, a mere 8 minute walk away). Spend some time exploring the beautiful Church of San Vicente and the Plaza de la Constitución.
- Enjoy (another) meal of a lifetime at the three starred Michelin restaurant ‘Arzak’ – seven unforgettable courses by a highly talented chef Jean Mari Arzak and founder of the new Basque cuisine. This restaurant frequently tops the top 20 restaurants in the world.
- Bid farewell, with private transfers to the airport with a flight back to London or stay a little longer – this package works perfectly with an extended trip to Rioja. Take an extra day or two and tick both Rioja and Bordeaux off your bucket list? – we’ll sort the details!
A number of airlines including British Airways, EasyJet and Ryanair offer seasonal flights to Bordeaux from the UKs major airports including London Gatwick, London Luton, Bristol, Glasgow, Liverpool and Edinburgh. Return from Bilbao to UKs major airports.
Eurostar and TGV trains run directly to Bordeaux-Saint-Jean, in the centre of the city, from Paris’ Gare du Nord and Lille. Travel from London St. Pancras will require a quick change at Gare du Nord, though a direct (albeit slower) route via Lille is available.
If you’re looking for a more scenic route, the drive from Paris takes about 5½ hours. If you’re coming from the UK, a ferry can take you from Plymouth, Weymouth, Bournemouth or Portsmouth to St. Malo or Portsmouth to Caen – the subsequent drive to Bordeaux will take around 5 hours and 5½ hours respectively.
Need to know: This is a tailor-made itinerary based on 5* hotel accommodation, that we can happily adapt to suit your requirements. All our suggested packages are completely flexible and designed to give you some ideas and inspiration of what we can offer.
Nearby Wine Regions: Bordeaux is well positioned between a number of other world-renowned wine regions including Rioja in Spain – the heartland of Spanish red wine is a five hour drive South west of Bordeaux. Five hours drive south west is the unspoilt region of Languedoc-Roussillon and the world-famous Châteauneuf-du-Pape and five hours drive north are the well-loved Sancerre and Pouilly-Fumés of the Loire Valley. Why not stay a little longer and tick another wine region off your list?
Hotel Recommendation: Les Sources de Caudalie
The Hotel Les Sources du Caudlaie is a particular favourite here at SmoothRed; a tranquil spa retreat offering 61 unique rooms in an incredible vineyard setting. Each building has been carefully crafted from recycled local materials which blend tastefully into the natural surroundings. The rooms and suites are decorated in the tasteful Acquitaine style and the L’ile aux Oiseaux Suite (Bird Island Suite) is perfect for nature lovers wishing to feel more remote. It quietly boasts a two-starred Michelin restaurant offering haute cuisine and an award winning spa offering grape-based therapies.
The hotel also offers:
We had a fantastic trip to Rioja with Smooth Red. The tour guide, wineries and hotels were all magnificent. A truly memorable trip and a great wine and food experience.
Our wine tasting in the Loire Valley was amazing!
We stayed in 'Chateau Bouvet Ladubay' the building was very grand but in a relaxed way! The hosts were lovely, they were there when necessary but quietly disappeared when they were not needed! The day's wine tasting included information on wine growing, a bike ride in the vast cellars (anyone who can stay upright on a bike could manage the ride whether 18 or 80!), a lovely picnic lunch and plenty of wine to try!!!
Smoothred is a company that I highly recommend - from start to finish they have been helpful and very well organised. They ensured that our break in the Loire Valley was personal and memorable!
For more information, speak to our travel team today
Or enquire online…
Send us a Message
Sign Up to Our Newsletter
Pay Us a Visit
SmoothRed, One Garratt Lane, Wandsworth, London, SW18 4AQ, UK