Experience Spain’s finest wine-making Rioja region with a private wine chauffeured wine tour; stay at Rioja’s most iconic Hotel Marques de Riscal.
Highlights of this Wine Tour4 days from £1194pp
- Rest your head in the spectacularly luxurious 5* Hotel Marqués de Riscal
- Welcome bottle of wine on arrival
- Enjoy complimentary access to the Caudalie Vinotherapie spa
- Visit the famous Marqués de Riscal winery and taste their magnificent wines
- Enjoy two full day wine tours with your dedicated expert wine guide and driver; visiting Rioja Alta and Rioja Alavesa
- Visit a range of world-famous, modern and ancient wineries in the region. Learn about the wine making process, meet the makers and taste the wines
- Traditional tapas lunches with accompanying wines on both Rioja wine tours
- 4 days car hire
A Sample Itinerary
- On arrival in Bilbao, pick up your hire car and before heading to Rioja we suggest a visit to Frank Gehry’s Guggenheim Museum, instantly hailed as the most important structure of its time this is not to be missed! Afterwards, make your way to another one of Frank Gehry’s creations, Hotel Marqués de Riscal where you will be staying in a spa wing room for the next three nights. After arriving at the Hotel (and picking your jaw up from the floor), you’ll enjoy your first Rioja wine tasting experience at a world-famous cellar dating from 1858. Tuck into your complimentary bottle of wine and choose from one of the two restaurants onsite (one of them being a top Michelin star restaurant).
- Your Rioja wine tasting tour continues with a full day wine tasting experience around Rioja Alta which centres around Haro (often seen as highest quality area with great verve and balance) with your English speaking driver and guide who will chauffeur you for the day. You will visit three estates; a mix of modern and boutique wineries as well as an ancient vineyard dating back to the 14th century so you can compare practices old and new and sample a broad range of wines. Refuel at lunchtime with a typical Riojan tapas lunch (with wine).
- Your second day in the vineyards with your English speaking driver and guide will be around Rioja Alavesa, the smallest of Rioja’s subregions. Visit three wineries, including one traditional estate dating back 130 years, and enjoy tours and tastings at each one and during the day you will stop in the medieval town of Laguardia. For lunch, enjoy a traditional tapas meal with wines.
- Before returning home we suggest you to relax and explore the nearby city of Logrono. Visit the Old Town, where you will find yourself walking along streets that form part of the Way of St James. Or spend the day in the state of the art vinotherapy spa at the hotel
Need to know: This is a tailor-made itinerary that we can happily adapt to suit your requirements. All our suggested packages are completely flexible and designed to give you some ideas and inspiration of what we can offer.
Nearby Wine Regions: Did you know that just two hours south of Rioja is the wine region of Ribera del Duero? – A superb cousin to the reds you’ve been sampling and boasting some of the most stunning food and scenery in Spain. Or perhaps hearty Bordeaux’s are a better match? Just five hours north of Rioja is Bordeaux – the heartland of French wine and another world-renowned wine region to tick off your list. Why not take a few extra days to do them all? – We’ll sort the details!
Hotel Recommendation: Hotel Marques de Riscal
The Hotel Marques de Riscal is a particular favourite here at SmoothRed, being as it is a hotel which perfectly blends the architectural magnificence of the legendary Frank Gehry with the rustic beauty of the vineyard-covered Spanish countryside. The hotel offers 43 luxury rooms and suites – each utterly unique in shape and views – a restaurant headed by Francis Paniego (the first Riojan chef to receive a Michelin star), a rooftop lounge and wine bar, a vast luxury library and its own winery.
The hotel also offers:
Amazing six days in Tuscany. We did a Chianti tour followed by a Brunello tour. Everything from the flights, car hire, hotels, guide and restaurant recommendations were great. Our guide took us to some lovely family owned vineyards and was very knowledgeable. We will definitely use Smooth Red again.
I don't usually put reviews but we have just been absolutely blown away by this weekend organised by Smooth Red! The staff were really friendly and managed to cater for all our requirements. A really informative and fun weekend. Even restaurant suggestions were superb and we really had a lovely time. I have already recommended to friends and family and will definitely be using Smooth red again for future wine tasting adventures!
For more information, speak to our travel team today
Or enquire online…
Send us a Message
Sign Up to Our Newsletter
Pay Us a Visit
SmoothRed, One Garratt Lane, Wandsworth, London, SW18 4AQ, UK