Porto ticks all the boxes. A vibrant, cosmopolitan city surrounded by a unspoilt natural landscape of the Douro Valley – and world fame. Experience all of this on our Luxury wines experience with five star accommodation in both the heart of the city and in a serene Douro River vineyards.
Highlights of this Wine Tour5 days from £1694pp
- Relax with private airport transfers
- Spend two nights at a luxurious five star spa hotel in the heart of Oporto with stunning views across the city
- Sample exquisite wine from a world-famous Port producer in the famous Vila Nova de Gaia
- Indulge in a 10 course Michelin starred meal of a lifetime with accompanying wine
- Explore in style with a private chauffeured port tasting tour winding through the magnificent Douro valley before a transfer to your next hotel.
- Enjoy tastings en route at a mix of world-famous and boutique port lodges; meet the humble and passionate wine makers behind this world famous wine region.
- Feast on a 6 course lunch paired with local wines in a breathtaking location
- Spend two nights at a luxurious five star spa hotel in the heart of the Douro River Vineyards
- Enjoy a pre-dinner tasting of six wines and local delicacies followed by a dinner of produce from the hotel’s organic garden.
A Sample Itinerary
- Today is all about relaxing. Check in to your luxury five star spa hotel, situated on a southern slope of the Douro river and nestled amongst famous port lodges with stunning panoramic views of Porto. You’re only fifteen minutes walk from the beautiful Old Town so why not take the afternoon to visit Porto Cathedral, the gothic-style Church of Saint Francis and the old Stock Exchange Palace? Or just relax with a port and tonic in your decanter-shaped pool and unwind with some award winning grape seed Caudalie spa treatments. This evening soak up the view and indulge in a memorable ten course meal with paired wines from the Michelin starred restaurant of your hotel. Take a moment to glance at the wine list (or should we say magazine) which boasts 13 aperitif ports alone and a total of 1,100 bottles; all arranged by character.
- Today you’ll visit one of the most famous port producers in the world. Enjoy a tutored tasting of a port cocktail with an expert wine guide – the perfect introduction to the tastes and terroirs to come. This evening venture out for dinner to the bustling streets of Porto – we have a wonderful restaurants list that won’t disappoint and we’ll happily make reservations for you.
- Today your private wine guide and chauffeur will collect you from your hotel for a tour of the port lodges of the magnificent Douro valley. Take in the stunning scenery along the winding roads towards Pinhao. Here you’ll take a tour of a famous Port Lodge and wander through vineyards with dramatic views across the surrounding hills and nearby Távora River. Visit another two boutique wine estates and meet the humble but passionate wine makers which make this region so famous. Taste their their produce and learn about the wine making process. Refuel with a six course lunch with six wines, served in a magnificently placed restaurant with terraced garden and views down the Douro. At the end of the day you’ll be transferred to your next port of call – a luxury five star spa hotel set in the serene Douro River Valley overlooking vineyards. The perfect heaven at the end of the day.
- Make the most of this amazing setting, relax in the pool, visit the hotel library and learn about the history of the wine making region or indulge in a spa treatment – everything from hot stone and almond oil massage, or an orange and lemon wrap with fruit from the organic gardens. There’s also a gym, nail bar and a pavilion for yoga and pilates (head into the woods to be suspended from the trees by ribbons for aerial yoga). Tonight enjoy a pre-dinner wine tasting of six wines with the pairing of one regional cheese, local “presunto ham” and smoked sausage. Dinner will be sharing plates taken from a menu inspired by local gastronomy, large focus on our house grown vegetables from the organic garden.
- On your final day enjoy a morning of kayaking, exploring the hotels organic gardens or relaxing at the pool and spa. For those feeling more adventurous we would happily arrange for a river cruise so you can bid a final farewell to the capital of port wine.
Getting Here: Francisco Sá Carneiro Airport is only 15km away from Port city centre. A number of tour operators operate from the UK including British Airways from Heathrow, EasyJet and TAP Portugal from London Gatwick, EasyJet from London Luton, Ryanair from London Stansted (Ryanair) as well as Easyjet from Bristol and Manchester. Porto is approximately a three hour drive from Lisbon. SmoothRed is ABTA and ATOL bonded and will happily make secure travel arrangements for you and your group.
Need to know: This is a tailor-made itinerary based on a 5* accommodation which we can happily adapt to suit your requirements. All our suggested packages are completely flexible and designed to give you some ideas and inspiration of what we can offer. We have a charming 4* hotel available from £1390pp.
Nearby Wine Regions: Lisbon, the capital of Portugal is approximately a three hour drive south of Porto and as the nation’s capital offers both amazing site seeing and a unique opportunity to try wines from all over Portugal. Why not tick Lisbon off your list while you’re here?
Luxury five star spa hotels in both the heart of Porto and the vineyards of the Douro River.
Amazing six days in Tuscany. We did a Chianti tour followed by a Brunello tour. Everything from the flights, car hire, hotels, guide and restaurant recommendations were great. Our guide took us to some lovely family owned vineyards and was very knowledgeable. We will definitely use Smooth Red again.
I don't usually put reviews but we have just been absolutely blown away by this weekend organised by Smooth Red! The staff were really friendly and managed to cater for all our requirements. A really informative and fun weekend. Even restaurant suggestions were superb and we really had a lovely time. I have already recommended to friends and family and will definitely be using Smooth red again for future wine tasting adventures!
For more information, speak to our travel team today
Or enquire online…
Send us a Message
Sign Up to Our Newsletter
Pay Us a Visit
SmoothRed, One Garratt Lane, Wandsworth, London, SW18 4AQ, UK