The heel of Italy is a wine and food lovers paradise, with some of the world’s finest primitivo wines and an honest earth-to-table cuisine – not to mention it’s stunning emerald-green coastline glittering limestone precipices and long sandy beaches. And with barely a tourist in sight, you’ll wish you’d discovered it sooner. This four day wine tour takes you to the heart of this region as you meet the humble wine makers and taste their heartfelt produce.
Highlights of this Wine Tour4 days from £674pp
- Relax for 3 nights in a charming Masseria in the Brindisi province
- Explore the wine regions of Valle d’Itria and Brindisi with a dedicated expert wine guide and driver.
- Visit five ‘Cantinas’ and meet the humble wine makes behind this world-famous wine region, taste their wines and share their passion.
- Enjoy a tasting of local olive oils
- Enjoy two traditional Pugliese lunches with perfectly paired wines
- Enjoy walking tours of the historic towns of Martina Franca and Brindisi
A Sample Itinerary
- Check in to your home for the next three nights – an 18th century converted farmhouse set on seven hectares of farmland in the tranquil heart of Apulia’s countryside between verdant hills and centuries-old olive trees. Choose from serviced hotel rooms or self –catering apartments made of local limestone. This afternoon is all about relaxing – take a dip in the outdoor pool and hot tub, or explore the seven hectare vegetable garden. If you’re feeling more adventurous, pack a picnic and explore the local area on bikes. Just 40 minutes drive east are the beaches of the Adriatic coast and 45 minutes west and you can have your feet in the Mediterranean.
- This morning your dedicated wine guide will meet you after breakfast and take you on your first full wine tour of the Valle d’Itria – a scenic drive of vineyards, olive groves and the architypical and quite peculiar classic coned roofs of Trulli. Here you’ll visit three ‘Cantinas’ and meet the humble wine makers behind this world-famous wine region tasting a number of their wines. Since the region is equally famous for it’s olives you’ll also experience a tutored olive oil tasting and stop for a traditional Pugliese lunch and a short walking tour of Martina Franca- one of the oldest cities in the Valle d’Iria.
- Your second wine tour takes you to the Brindisi wine region and coastline. Here you’ll visit two Cantinas with slightly different tastes, terrioirs and grapes from the previous day. The predominent grape variety is Negriamaro which is highly tannic, late-ripening and often blended with Malvasia Nera, Montepulciano and Sangiovese. with dark, baked fruit flavours. Enjoy a wine pairing lunch before a tour of the historic centre of Brindisi; Italy’s largest natural port.
- Enjoy a final dip in the pool, explore the local olive groves or take a cookery lesson for lunch before bidding ciao.
Getting Here: Bari International Airport is serviced by seasonal flights from London’s Gatwick and Stansted airports from British Airways and Ryanair. Bari Central Station is a stop on a number of rail lines, by which Rome, Milan, Turin, Lecce and many others can be reached. Bari is about 4½ hours’ drive from Rome and 2½ hours from Naples.
Need to know: This is a tailor-made itinerary based on luxury Agritirismo accommodation – either serviced rooms or self catering with full and half board options which we can happily adapt to suit your requirements. Please note upgrades are also available -please ask for details. All our suggested packages are completely flexible and designed to give you some ideas and inspiration of what we can offer. SmoothRed is ATOL and ABTA bonded and we would be happy to make travel arrangements for you.
Nearby Wine Regions: If you like Chianti, Prosecco or Barolo wines don’t forget that SmoothRed also offer wine tours to Tuscany, Venice, Piedmont, Cinque Terre and Amalfi Coast wine regions. Why not extend your stay and tick another world-renowned wine region off your list? Our regional experts would be happy to sort the details.
Agriturismo accomodation in the heart of the Puglia countryside
Amazing six days in Tuscany. We did a Chianti tour followed by a Brunello tour. Everything from the flights, car hire, hotels, guide and restaurant recommendations were great. Our guide took us to some lovely family owned vineyards and was very knowledgeable. We will definitely use Smooth Red again.
I don't usually put reviews but we have just been absolutely blown away by this weekend organised by Smooth Red! The staff were really friendly and managed to cater for all our requirements. A really informative and fun weekend. Even restaurant suggestions were superb and we really had a lovely time. I have already recommended to friends and family and will definitely be using Smooth red again for future wine tasting adventures!
For more information, speak to our travel team today
Or enquire online…
Send us a Message
Sign Up to Our Newsletter
Pay Us a Visit
SmoothRed, One Garratt Lane, Wandsworth, London, SW18 4AQ, UK