Discover a valley of vineyards and beautiful medieval villages, sheltered by the magnificent Cantabrian Mountains as you experience Spain’s finest wine-making region, with a private tour around Rioja’s most famous estates and the chance to explore the city of Logrono.
Highlights of this Wine Tour3 days from £899pp
- Relax with private transfers during the trip (self drive options also available) – please ask for details
- Rest your head in style in a unique 14th-century Augustinian monastery – now a 4* landmark hotel
- Discover the world famous wines and region with an expertly chauffeured private tour visiting a selection of boutique wineries around Rioja Alta and Rioja Alavesa
- Indulge in a Tapas lunch with perfectly matched wines
A Sample Itinerary
- Relax with private transfers from the airport to the capital of ‘La Rioja’ and stay in a 14th-century Augustinian monastery. Once settled at the hotel your wine experience begins with a visit to a prestigious winery.
- The morning to relax and explore the town of Haro. It has some wonderful religious and civil architecture. The church of Santo Tomas, also known as the Watchtower, stands at the foot of a hill, and has an impressive archway. Local private transfers included to the capital of ‘La Rioja’ –Logrono, whre you will be based for the next two nights.
- Your Rioja wine tasting tour continues with a full day wine tasting experience around Rioja with your English speaking guide who will chauffeur you for the day. You will visit a winery before visiting an ancient vineyard dating to the 14th century. This is followed by a typical Riojan tapas lunch. You will visit a wine estate in the afternoon before your guide takes you back to the hotel.
- Relax and explore Logrono, visit the Old Town, where you will find yourself walking along streets that form part of the Way of St James, it really is an amazing place to explore on foot. On your journey home why not visit the Guggenheim Museum.
Need to know: This is a tailor-made itinerary based on 4* hotel in Haro, that we can happily adapt to suit your requirements. Please note that the wine tour is semi-private which means that there may be up to seven other wine enthusiasts with you – still allowing for an informative and intimate experience with the winemakers. Private tours can be arranged for special occasions. All our suggested packages are completely flexible and designed to give you some ideas and inspiration of what we can offer. SmoothRed is ABTA and ATOL bonded which guarantees financial protection on all your travel bookings.
Nearby Wine Regions: Did you know that just two hours south of Rioja is the wine region of Ribera del Duero? – A superb cousin to the reds you’ve been sampling and boasting some of the most stunning food and scenery in Spain. Or perhaps hearty Bordeaux’s are a better match? Just five house north of Rioja is Bordeaux – the heartland of French wine and another world-renowned wine region to tick off your list. Why not take a few extra days to do them all? – We’ll sort the details!
Getting Here: Bilbao Airport is the closest main airport to the Rioja region. Flights arrive into Bilbao from Heathrow (with British Airways), Gatwick (with Vueling) and Stansted, Manchester and Bristol (with EasyJet), as well as from a number of other European airports. La Rioja is just southwards of Bilbao, and Logroño and Haro are no more than a few hours away by train or by car.
Trains run daily from Bilbao-Abando station to Logroño directly, which is a stop 2½ hours away on the journey from Bilbao to Barcelona. Trains also occasionally run from Bilbao-Abando to Haro, and take about 2 hours directly. The journey between Logroño and Haro (which can also be made directly) takes between half an hour and an hour.
From Bilbao by road, Logroño is 1½ hours away, and Haro is an hour. From Logroño to Haro or vice versa will take no more than half an hour along the Autopista AP-68. The more scenic route via the N-232, which will take you through Briones, Torremontalbo and Fuenmayor, should add on no more than an extra ten minutes to that time.
4* Hotel Los Agustinos in Haro is set in a former convent dating from 1373, this casual hotel is adjacent to the Teatro Breton and 12 minutes’ walk from Bodegas Muga winery.
We had a fantastic trip to Rioja with Smooth Red. The tour guide, wineries and hotels were all magnificent. A truly memorable trip and a great wine and food experience.
Our wine tasting in the Loire Valley was amazing!
We stayed in 'Chateau Bouvet Ladubay' the building was very grand but in a relaxed way! The hosts were lovely, they were there when necessary but quietly disappeared when they were not needed! The day's wine tasting included information on wine growing, a bike ride in the vast cellars (anyone who can stay upright on a bike could manage the ride whether 18 or 80!), a lovely picnic lunch and plenty of wine to try!!!
Smoothred is a company that I highly recommend - from start to finish they have been helpful and very well organised. They ensured that our break in the Loire Valley was personal and memorable!
For more information, speak to our travel team today
Or enquire online…
Send us a Message
Sign Up to Our Newsletter
Pay Us a Visit
SmoothRed, One Garratt Lane, Wandsworth, London, SW18 4AQ, UK