Join us on a journey to discover the true lifeblood of France. Soak up the delights of Bordeaux City as you explore the charming Old Town and the new La Cité du Vin, then delve into the surrounding countryside with a full day of private chauffeured wine tasting tours in the Graves region visiting the famous Sauternes and a day discovering the St Emilion vineyards!
Highlights of this Wine Tour4 days from £994pp
- Enjoy the hustle and bustle of brasseries, bars and monuments with three nights accommodation in a 4* hotel in the centre of Bordeaux
- Relax with spa access in the hotel
- A full wine discovery day starting with a blending workshop in Bordeaux centre and ending with visits and tastings at two estates in St Emilion
- French rustic lunch with wines included
- Spend time exploring Bordeaux’s newest attraction La Cité du Vin
- Explore in style with a private chauffeured wine tasting tour in Graves, visiting the famous village of Sauternes
- Visit and tastings at two prestigious Châteaux in the famous Sauternes village known for it’s intense “liquid gold” sweet dessert wines
- Indulge yourself with a 3 course lunch with wines paired in a restaurant overlooking the Sauternes vineyards!
A Sample Itinerary
- After arriving in Bordeaux city, and settling into your 4* spa hotel in the heart of Bordeaux (the hotel also has golf facilities outside Bordeaux city), discover the world of wine in Bordeaux’s La Cité du Vin. Embark on an adventure to discover the cultures and civilisations of wine, where wine comes to life through an immersive, sensorial approach, all set within an evocative architectural design. Nearly twenty different themed areas invite you to take a voyage of discovery and enjoy a unique experience exploring the many and varied facets of wine across time and space. The tour also includes access to La Cité du Vin’s Belvedere, where you will discover a 360° view of Bordeaux whilst tasting a glass of world wine.
- On your second day, enjoy a full day’s tour with your English speaking guide discovering the St Emilion appellation. The day will start with a tasting class of the 4 main wine regions of France. Bordeaux wines are blends of different grape varieties (most Bordeaux blends include Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot), learn the characteristics of each variety and blend your very own cuvée! Enjoy a rustic lunch in Bordeaux city centre, before heading into the vineyards to St Emilion. Visit an authentic and charming family-run estate’s vineyards, traditional vat room and cellars.The second winery is a Great Classified Growth estate overlooking the Saint-Emilion vineyards where you will learn the wine-making processes from vine to bottle. Your tasting will be paired with French delicacies such as fresh bread, cheeses etc.
- Enjoy a full day’s private chauffeured wine tasting tour in Graves visiting the famous village of Sauternes (most expensive wine to produce in all of Bordeaux) with an English speaking driver and guide. Visit the cellars of a boutique estate where the Garonne and Ciron rivers meet, and form a perfect micro-climate for these wines and learn all there is to know about the history of the estates and the chemistry and complexities behind the wine-making process… and, of course, taste the wines! Enjoy lunch paired with wines in front of the vines of Sauternes. In the afternoon, learn about the sweet wine making process in Sauternes; from grapes affected with Botrytis cinerea (noble rot) to the bottling procedure. After, taste some of the wines, and on your way back to Bordeaux see some of the most famous Chateaux of the area such as the Premier Cru Supérieur estate Château d’Yquem
- On your final day, relax in the hotel spa and explore the city of Bordeaux, and enjoy the ambiance, restaurants and bars that the city has to offer. Stroll along one of Europe’s longest esplanades, spend some time shopping in the Bordeaux’s many boutique shops, or perhaps visit some of Bordeaux’s 350 historical monuments, and take in the city’s splendid 18th Century architecture.
A number of airlines including British Airways, EasyJet and Ryanair offer seasonal flights to Bordeaux from the UKs major airports including London Gatwick, London Luton, Bristol, Glasgow, Liverpool and Edinburgh.
Eurostar and TGV trains run directly to Bordeaux-Saint-Jean, in the centre of the city, from Paris’ Gare du Nord and Lille. Travel from London St. Pancras will require a quick change at Gare du Nord, though a direct (albeit slower) route via Lille is available.
If you’re looking for a more scenic route, the drive from Paris takes about 5½ hours. If you’re coming from the UK, a ferry can take you from Plymouth, Weymouth, Bournemouth or Portsmouth to St. Malo or Portsmouth to Caen – the subsequent drive to Bordeaux will take around 5 hours and 5½ hours respectively.
Need to know: This is a tailor-made itinerary based on 4* hotel accommodation, that we can happily adapt to suit your requirements. All our suggested packages are completely flexible and designed to give you some ideas and inspiration of what we can offer.
Nearby Wine Regions: Bordeaux is well positioned between a number of other world-renowned wine regions including Rioja in Spain – the heartland of Spanish red wine is a five hour drive South west of Bordeaux. Five hours drive south west is the unspoilt region of Languedoc-Roussillon and the world-famous Châteauneuf-du-Pape and five hours drive north are the well-loved Sancerre and Pouilly-Fumés of the Loire Valley. Why not stay a little longer and tick another wine region off your list?
We had a fantastic trip to Rioja with Smooth Red. The tour guide, wineries and hotels were all magnificent. A truly memorable trip and a great wine and food experience.
Our wine tasting in the Loire Valley was amazing!
We stayed in 'Chateau Bouvet Ladubay' the building was very grand but in a relaxed way! The hosts were lovely, they were there when necessary but quietly disappeared when they were not needed! The day's wine tasting included information on wine growing, a bike ride in the vast cellars (anyone who can stay upright on a bike could manage the ride whether 18 or 80!), a lovely picnic lunch and plenty of wine to try!!!
Smoothred is a company that I highly recommend - from start to finish they have been helpful and very well organised. They ensured that our break in the Loire Valley was personal and memorable!
For more information, speak to our travel team today
Or enquire online…
Send us a Message
Sign Up to Our Newsletter
Pay Us a Visit
SmoothRed, One Garratt Lane, Wandsworth, London, SW18 4AQ, UK